Tuesday, January 23, 2007

PART 2 Cumberland Island Adventure

The Details: We put in a Crooked River State Park on a cloudy Sat morning , temperatures were in the high 60's headed towards the mid 70's. You have to love the Jan temps in south Ga. wow. I need to back up a little before I get to the trip.... So we had camped at Crooked River State Park on Friday night and we were impressed with the camp and facilities. Great place to start and it was right at the boat ramp. We rented our boats from Up the Creek outfitters in St Mary's. They were great !! ask for Natiely she was awesome and really has some great knowledge about the area conditions. So I rolled up to the boat ramp at 7:30 and they were already there with the boats all lined up with the gear waiting to hit the water. We had several kinds of boats all where in great condition and I was pretty excited. O YEA. We had a total of 6 people in our group 5 boats total, with one tandem. After getting all the wavers signed and checked it was time to load up the boats with gear. I wish I have some pictures because most would laugh at all the stuff we were able to get into these boats. We also started to get eaten by gnats. Thats right bitting gnats... I have some words for those gnats, for some reason they like our boats as much as we did. These little things would swam up and around your face legs , ears, you name it. At this point we were quickly stuffing gear in so we could get on the water and escape the gnats. The weird thing is the hole trip they only were crazy around our boats when they were on land. Go figure....

Once we hit the water we paddled along the shore following the wonderful maps that the Up the creek outfitters had for us. I also was charting our trip on a GPS quest. The route we took was pretty easy going out the crooked river with the tide. We made really good time. head towards Sea Camp. Now I know a lot of people will say why did you head there and my answer is thats just where I picked. The real reason why most kayak dont head there is because there is no bat take out once you get there. and the paddle is a pretty long way. We were on the water for 3 hours easy and we had almost perfect conditions. Look at the sea wall in the upper picture, we had to lift our unloaded boat up that wall. That goodness they has carts to hall gear. I am glad we pick Sea camp for our first stop. I think it gave us the ability to see how wonderful it was. I think I would recommend to anyone to try the camp out. Its not total back country camping by it is nicely laid out. Here we are at SEA CAMP .... MORE TO COME >>>>>

No comments: